The bitter cold is going to be here for the next few days. Here’s how to prepare your furnace and plumbing for this extreme weather. If you have a heating or plumbing emergency, Please call us at (317) 293-6510
1. Make sure that your furnace filter is clean for best airflow.
2. Set your thermostat a few degrees higher to build up some warmth before the extreme temperature arrives. You can expect your furnace to run constantly until the outside temperature returns to a seasonal average.
3. Your furnace is designed to keep your home comfortably warm for average weather conditions. The extreme weather that we are expecting will cause your furnace to work the hardest it has all season. It may not keep your inside temperature to the set-point because of the huge temperature difference between indoors and outdoors.
5. Close the dampers on your fireplace only if it is NOT in use.
6. Use towels at the base of your outside doors to lessen the entry of cold air.
1. Keep your garage door closed at all times.
2. If you have plumbing in the garage, provide heat to that area if possible.
3. Close your crawlspace vents and access holes.
4. Open cabinet doors for all plumbing fixtures located on the outside wall.
5. Leave the water running in a small stream when plumbing fixtures are located on an outside wall. NOTE: If you are leaving for an extended period of time, turn the water off to your home and shut off the power supply to the water heater.
6. If your washer is located on an outside wall, add a small amount of anti-freeze to the trap and monitor it while in use during this extreme cold.
7. Locate your water shut-off valve now in case you experience a burst pipe.
We are expecting very high call volume during this time. However, we will be here to serve you. We appreciate your patience should you need us.
If you have a heating or plumbing emergency, PLEASE call us at (317) 293-6510